Energize North Dakota
North Dakota is a leading energy producer.
- The state produces enough oil to fuel over 700,000 cars and heat over 300,000 homes a day. North Dakota produces enough natural gas to meet the natural gas needs of almost 1 million homes a day. (US Department of Energy/EIA, Natural Gas Annual 2003)
- 9th in the nation, North Dakota produced 35.7 million barrels of crude oil in 2005.
- 22nd in the nation, North Dakota produced 52,557 MMCF of natural gas in 2005.
- Future potential oil and natural gas resources are substantial – North Dakota’s 417 billion cubic feet (Bcf) of proved natural gas reserves is enough to meet the needs of 417,000 homes for 15 years; its proved oil reserves are enough to fuel 790,000 cars for 15 years AND heat 322,000 homes for 15 years.
Oil and Natural Gas are fueling North Dakota’s economy.
- North Dakota’s natural gas and oil industry accounts for more than 3,500 jobs (direct and indirect wage earners) (2002 data).
- Natural gas and oil jobs (direct and indirect wage earners) earn an average salary of over $40,000 per year – which is 55% more than the average earnings per worker in North Dakota ($26,500). (2002 data; 2001 dollars).
- For 2003 to 2005, production and extraction taxes on the oil and natural gas industry contributed a total $71 million to the State General Fund, and about $49.5 million to the Permanent Oil Trust Fund. (ND Office of State Tax Commissioner, 2003-2005 Biennial Report)
- For 2003-2005, the oil and natural gas industry paid $48.7 million in royalties, bonus, and rent. (ND State Land Department, 2003-2005 Biennial Report)
- In 2006, North Dakota received $15.5 million as part of its share of federal revenues collected by the Minerals Management Service. (US Minerals Management Service)
Oil and Natural Gas give back to North Dakota’s communities.
- In 2005, the oil and natural gas industry contributed about $42.7 million from taxes to county governments, the Resources Trust Fund, the Common Schools Trust Fund, and the Foundation Aid Stabilization Fund. ( ND Office of State Tax Commissioner, FY03-FY05)
US DOE/EIA, Crude Oil Production, http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_crd_crpdn_adc_mbbl_a.htm
US DOE/EIA, Natural Gas Annual 2005